The Olean Family YMCA is proud to showcase a 26-foot state-of-the-art Climbing Wall for Y members to use. The wall is designed for people in grades Kindergarten through adults and has belays that take climbers through a beginner through advanced route on the wall. Each climber is secured in a harness attached to a rope.
CLIMBING WITH KIDS
Most kids are natural climbers and can begin climbing at the Y as young as 5 years old. Climbing as a family is an enjoyable way to spend time together.
Climbing builds muscle and endurance. It is a healthy option for children who are not interested in team sports. The climber has to plan and anticipate his or her next move to get to the top. It takes both mental and physical skill to do this.
It may be helpful to provide some coaching from the ground, too. You can suggest where young climbers should place their hands or feet from your vantage point below. You can also instruct your kids to give you a heads–up if they think they are about to fall by shouting out “falling.” (Note: Falls are stopped quickly by the belayer.) These are both good habits for all climbers, not just kids.
Call the olean ymca for CLIMBING WALL HOURS: 716-373-2400
A FEW TIPS TO REMEMBER:
- Climbing is only permitted when a supervisor is on duty.
- Proper attire and footware are required.
- Most climbers wear clothes that offer comfort and mobility. Clothes you would wear for yoga work well. Capris and “manpris” are popular with climbers as well as knee–length shorts. Short shorts are typically avoided since they do not give enough coverage.
- Close-toed, rubber-soled shoes are required to climb.
- As with any activity, it’s helpful to stretch a bit before and after climbing. Muscles not properly warmed up are more prone to injury. Work your forearms, chest and legs and be sure to stay hydrated.
- All users must sign a liability waiver (or be a member and have signed the membership waiver).