Today, older adults are more health conscious than ever before. The YMCA offers seniors the opportunity to maintain a healthy lifestyle, healthy relationships and a positive outlook on life. Active older adults live longer and have better functional conditioning. That is why the YMCA offers water exercise, yoga, stretching and toning classes, volunteer opportunities, and social events.
Our Active Older Adult (AOA) programs are designed for men and women in their 50s and older. We encourage everyone to grow in the areas of physical, emotional, social, and spiritual well-being. Our active adult exercise classes promote fitness and well-being while fostering friendships and camaraderie. Our volunteer opportunities and social events help build lasting relationships and community ties that last a lifetime. Each YMCA of the Twin Tiers branch offers different programming, so check the location nearest you for current information. Programs are open to members and some to non-members.
All active older adult group exercise classes are FREE for Y members. Registration not necessary. Guests may visit the Y up to 3 times per year and attend classes, space permitting. Download Guest Pass.
ACTIVE OLDER ADULT GROUP EXERCISE CLASSES*
- MOTION PLUS: This class involves both standing and floor exercises.
- CHAIR EXERCISE: Combine fun with fitness in this circuit workout utilizing a chair and seated exercises. Stretching and relaxation exercises included.
- GENTLE STRETCH: This class includes light resistance training & stretching.
- GENTLE SHAPE-UP: Have fun and move to the music through a variety of exercises designed to increase muscular strength, range of movement and activity for daily living skills. Hand-held weights, elastic tubing with handles, and a ball are offered for resistance, and a chair is used for seated and/or standing support.
- MORE GROUP EXERCISE
*Not all classes are offered at all locations. Check local schedules.
group exercise & Pool Schedules
Benefits of Starting an Active Lifestyle Today
- Physical activity reduces risk of heart disease, diabetes and some cancers.
- Physical activity helps reduce pain.
- Exercise helps increase muscular strength, flexibility and balance.
- Physically active people have fewer symptoms of depression.
- Physical Activity = Longer Life!
Classes improves motivation, energy, aerobic capability, muscle conditioning, improved cardiovascular endurance and muscle tone, by using the buoyancy and resistance of water. Classes combine shallow and deep water for various activities - rehabilitating muscles, relieving stress and tension, and improving overall sense of well-being. READ MORE.
UPCOMING SENIOR TRIPS AT THE WELLSVILLE YMCA
Register online by clicking HERE or in person at the new Y at Riverwalk Plaza during normal business hours.
Click HERE for a complete list of trips for 2017.
Click HERE for upcoming trips for 2017.
These trips are all tentative, please keep in mind, we have the right to change dates, times and pricing. Any person requiring special accomodations (physical or otherwise) is responsible for bringing an aide to assist them. The YMCA is not responsible for providing assistance. Please call 585-593-3246 if you have questions. Note: The buses depart from the Wellsville YMCA and will stop and pick-up at the Olean YMCA if anyone from the Olean area wants to participate. Please call for details.
"The Olean Y has made a huge difference in my life. I joined in 2009 and recently celebrated - truly celebrated - my 70th birthday, in large part as a result of an exercise regimen that keeps me feeling energetic and vibrant and gives me a great BMI for a woman my age."
— Paula M.