The Olean and Bradford YMCAs offer a free YMCA membership to all students in 6th grade.
The goal of the 6th Grade Initiative is to:
Inspire youth to discover their passions.
Develop a healthy lifestyle.
Gain the assets needed to avoid risky behaviors.
Succeed in school and life.
WHY 6TH GRADERS?
Research shows that 6th grade is a critical time in a young persons life when exposure to risk factors greatly increases. Risk factors are conditions or influences that have been shown to increase the likelihood for unhealthy behaviors including substance abuse, delinquency, teen pregnancy, school drop-out and violence. It is also during the early teen years that youth begin to distance themselves from family and positive support systems.
HOW TO JOIN
Bring a School ID, roster, report card and a parent or guardian to the Olean or Bradford Family YMCA.
Parents complete required membership paperwork and sign form.
6th grader may begin using the membership right away.*
*Memberships are available September to August 31 before entering the 7th grade.
WHAT DOES A YMCA MEMBERSHIP INCLUDE?
YMCA PROGRAM HOURS:
Mon–Fri 2:45 - 6:30
*Only during school days.
Mon–Fri 5:00am - 8:30pm
*Availability varies by day.
1. 6th grade members are permitted in the building during operating hours.
2. All youth are required to be actively engaged in a program or activity while at the YMCA.
3. Membership hours and activities are subject to change by YMCA staff.
4. Monthly calendars will be issued including group exercise classes, Friday or Saturday night events, enrichment and sports classes, youth and government programs and more.
1. Wear comfortable clothing, socks and sneakers. Bring or wear a bathing suit if you plan to use the pool.
2. Bring a lock to secure belongings in the locker room. Locks must be removed daily.
3. Bring a water bottle to rehydrate. Water is also available in the vending area.
WHAT IS THE 6TH GRADE INITIATIVE?
Sixth grade is a critical time in a young person’s life when exposure to risk factors are greatly increased.
These influences have shown to increase the likelihood for unhealthy behaviors including substance abuse, delinquency, teen pregnancy, school drop-out and violence.
The following schools are committed to providing a positive outlet to allow our youth to learn, grow, and thrive in a safe environment:
Fretz Middle School in Bradford
Olean Intermediate Middle School
Allegany-Limestone Central School
Portville Central School
Hinsdale Central School
We are looking for members of the community to sponsor the 6th Grade Initiative during multiple activities.
For more information about making a difference in a young person’s life, please see your YMCA membership staff.